Formed in 2009, The Pop-Up Choir specialises in stylish and exciting pop covers. We sing a mix of high-energy crowd pleasers, indie classics and soul, including songs by Adele, Pulp, Mumford and Sons, Otis Redding and Taylor Swift.
We’ve sung at the Picturehouse Cinema’s sold-out Pitch Perfect 2 party at the Ritzy, with Shlomo at the Royal Festival Hall, and at the World’s Highest Cinema at The Top of the Shard, as well as at launches, events and our own gigs.
We rehearse in three terms through the year, and rehearsals take place 7-9pm on Tuesdays in Kennington, south London.
We are looking for a confident and dynamic London-based MD who…
- Wants to lead an enthusiastic acapella pop choir
- Specialises in contemporary acapella music and can quickly arrange fantastic SAAB arrangements (at least one per term)
- Has a proven track record working with, and leading, acapella vocal groups
- Can wrangle a 25-strong group of excitable 30-somethings through hard work and fun
- Is happy teaching a range of learning levels: the choir is auditioned, but a good voice and can-do attitude are valued over sight-reading
- Works on blend, tone and performance through exercises as well as practical singing
- Is available for occasional gigs and Saturday morning workshops as well as our weekly sessions
- Likes a tipple after rehearsal! (NB: tipple can be replaced by squash. Or crisps. We’re not picky.)
Administration duties are handled by members of The Pop-Up Choir and would not be part of the musical director’s role.
We arrange some gigs ourselves, but we would love our new MD to suggest other interesting opportunities and help us to make them amazing. The plan is to apply for festivals in 2016, after focusing on repertoire in 2015.
How to apply…
Please email email@example.com by Friday 8th Jan 2016 with the following information:
- Cover letter explaining why you are interested in the role and what you would like to achieve with the choir
- Your work history and a link to Soundcloud / Youtube to see some of your work if you have them
- Titles of three songs that you could arrange that you think would complement our repertoire and a brief description of how they would work
- Fee details
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to meet the choir and lead part of a rehearsal.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Find out more about us here: